Ingrown nails occur when the edges and corners of the toenails grow into the skin. There is a pain in the area, and there is often redness and swelling. In many cases, there is also inflammation in the swollen area, and there may be pus and blood on the edge of the nail. Ingrown nails are most common on the big toe and often occur due to incorrectly cut nails or tight shoes. However, in cases where it does not heal, the reason is most likely that we do not walk over the big toe as we should, then there will be no pressure under the toe that counteracts the bending of the nail downwards. Then the edges will grow down too sharply. We do not walk over the big toe because it does not bend in the walking phase, which means that we unconsciously avoid walking on it. It is a condition called Functional Hallux Limitus. Research shows that this is precisely what often happens when an ingrown nail does not heal.
THIS IS HOW THE TREATMENT IS DONE
The treatment for ingrown nails is that we have to get our toes to apply pressure against the surface when walking. So that there is a back pressure against the bending of the nail so that it is counteracted. The reason why there is no pressure under the big toe is a condition called Functional Hallux Limitus. This condition disappears with the Pronatos treatment.
Treatment step by step
- First, we go through the cause of the problem. We look at the posture of the foot.
- Then strength and mobility tests are performed on the feet.
- We treat the joints that do not move as they should.
- Then we have a basis on how we should treat the feet.
- The treatment is done with a device called StretchPower. With the help of a bar, we expose the lower leg to pressure so that the ankle is bent, mobility increases, and the error is corrected. Before the treatment begins, we put it in the correct position in StretchPower to get the desired effect on the treatment.
- We usually get an immediate result on the pain that has arisen, and the patient feels much better immediately after the treatment.
- After the treatment, we go through how you walk and use your gait. The walking pattern always needs to be corrected so that you start using your feet in the right way and bring out the function of the foot when you walk.