Symptoms of Hammer toe
Hammer toe is when one or more toes next to the big toe are curved in a fixed position and corn forms on the upper side. It is a joint in the toe that is bent and pulls in towards the foot. The appearance resembles a hammer hence the name of the symptom. Depending on which joint is curved, it is called a hammer toe or claw toe. Hammer toe is when the joint between the first and second toe is bent while the claw toe is when the joint between the third and fourth toe is bent (further out towards the tip of the toe).
Hammer toe is common in connection with Hallux Valgus. Hallux Valgus is when the big toe is tilted outwards.
Symptoms of hammer toe are one or more curved toes. The curved toe can cause pain when using shoes and a corn may form on the top of the curved toe. If the hammer toe rubs against the shoe too much, it can also lead to wounds on the upper side. It is also common to feel pain under the forefoot in connection with the hammer toe, because you can not distribute the pressure over a larger area under the foot.
THIS IS HOW THE TREATMENT GOES
The treatment involves releasing the joint so that the big toe can bend. The reason is that the toe has become overstressed by taking too much load when walking. You have to get all the toes to receive the pressure when you walk, usually it is the big toe that does not work properly (it is the strongest toe) and it does not receive pressure below which makes the little toes become overloaded. The function of the big toe must be restored and then the muscles of the affected little toes must be released so that they regain their strength. Then the hammer toe can start to relax and regain its mobility.
Treatment step by step
- First we go through the cause of the problem, we look at the posture of the foot.
- Then strength and mobility tests are performed on the feet.
- Then we have a basis on how we should treat your feet.
- The treatment is done with a device called StretchPower. With the help of a bar, we expose the lower leg to a pressure so that the ankle is bent, mobility is increased and the error is corrected. Before the treatment begins, we put it in the right position in StretchPower so that you get the desired effect on the treatment.
- The patient receives exercises that they can do at home to influence the hammer toe’s position.
“Received a very good treatment from Vesa. He was very competent and nice. It was really worth going 50 miles to get a treatment with Pronatos. Also got many good tips and advice to be able to regain normal function in my foot.”
“Very nice and professional treatment. I got an understanding of the problem, good visual images and immediate help with the problem. Amazing to be able to get help so quickly! Now I will recommend my husband and a relative to book an appointment. I have understood the importance of the big toe!”
“Very knowledgeable in their field, highly recommended.”