Hallux Rigidus is when the joint of the big toe is stiff and you may have started to get arthritis in the joint. Hallux Rigidus usually occurs due to the big toe not bending under load, there will then be an increased strain inside the joint because you cross a joint that does not bend. Hallux Rigidus can also occur after an injury where the joint has been damaged. Symptoms include joint stiffness and pain when walking. You can see a swelling around the joint and there are bone deposits on the joint, which in the end can lead to it being difficult to wear shoes. X-rays can show that there is arthritis in the joint.
To treat hallux Rigidus, we are working to get the movement back in the big toe joint. The basic cause is usually that you have an underlying condition called Functional Hallux Limitus, that condition we treat first. We do this with the device StretchPower. The pain usually arises from the joint not moving and there is an increased pressure on the joint. We get this started and the pain usually subsides completely. This happens even if the X-ray shows arthritis. It is not the arthritis that causes the pain, it is the weakness in the joint, a strong joint with arthritis does not have to hurt.
THIS IS THE TREATMENT
The treatment for hallux rigidus is to regain the movement in the joint and correct the condition Functional Hallux Limitus.
Treatment step by step
- First, we go through the cause of the problem, we look at the posture of the foot.
- Then strength and mobility tests are performed on the feet.
- We treat the joints that do not move as they should.
- Then we have a basis on how we should treat your feet.
- For Hallux Rigidus, you must treat the right muscles to release the tension that gives the pain and reduced mobility.
- The treatment is done with a device called StretchPower. With the help of a bar, we expose the lower leg to pressure so that the ankle is bent, mobility is increased, and the error is corrected. Before the treatment begins, we put it in the right position in StretchPower so that you get the desired effect on the treatment.
- After the treatment, we go through how you walk and use your gait, and if it needs to be corrected so that you start using your feet in the right way and bring out the function of the foot when you walk.
“Received a very good treatment from Vesa. He was very competent and nice. It was really worth going 50 miles to get a treatment with Pronatos. Also got many good tips and advice to be able to regain normal function in my foot.”
“Very nice and professional treatment. I got an understanding of the problem, good visual images and immediate help with the problem. Amazing to be able to get help so quickly! Now I will recommend my husband and a relative to book an appointment. I have understood the importance of the big toe!”
“Very knowledgeable in their field, highly recommended.”